Summary of time:
· Hoover Dam
· Lake Mead National Park
· Las Vegas – Tourist town and shows
Handy hints –
§ Be content to take things as they come, don’t worry if running behind your schedule, it may mean you experience something new and different.
§ Embrace the weather, be prepared for anything.
§ If visiting National Parks find out the costs and compare it against the cost of the Annual National Park Fee $80 (Zion $25, Bryce $25, Capitol Reef $5, Arches $10, Canyonlands $10, Mesa Verde $10, Grand Canyon $25, Lake Mead $5 = $115 in 3 weeks). Individual park fees are normally 1 price for 5-7 days.
§ Arriving at National Parks go visit the visitors centre, talk to the rangers, get recommendations on what to see and do and what order to do it in. It will always depend on the length of time that you have and how much walking you want to do. Pick up the map and the current guide newspaper.
Leaving Bluff i wasn’t sure what the next couple of days would bring, i decided that i would still book into the Mandalay Bay on Sunday, but that left 3 days/2 nights, what to do.
I actually spent a large part of the time driving. Leaving Bluff i sort of headed east, well as best as the road would let me, i drove through Page, and saw Lake Powell, with one of the several dams that exist on the Colorado River as part of the Water Control System set up for the various states that require water (inc California), and from here i passed through the lower part of the Escalante National Park, eventually arriving back at Zion National Park. I thought i might go for a horse ride the next day, but it was out of season, so it changed the plans.
Next day i drove south west, crossing the time line, heading into Nevada, and drove through Lake Mead National Recreational area, which was created with the Hoover Dam. The rock formation around here was a more red colouring that in other area’s i had seen. I stopped for a while with my book, and appreciating the warm sun, and views. Then driving south i could see Las Vegas off to my right (west) and i could see all the major hotels of the strip, they were the only tall buildings around.
I headed east to Boulder, just by Hoover Dam, and ended up on the Bypass, which took me down to the Dam. It was impressive to be crossing a famous place. I didn’t stop; i didn’t see a motel to stop so carried on into Arizona, crossing the time line again, and down to Kingsman, where i stopped for the night on Route 66.
Next day i was due at Las Vegas, but till mid afternoon, and also there would be the clocks going back an hour when i crossed back into Nevada. I decided that i would stop and go explore the Dam. Seeing the white line at some distance above the level of the water i was intrigued, and wondered if this was its normal level, and that its current level was very low. I did the tour of the power plant, but did not feel like taking the tour right into the dam. I learnt much about the building of the dam, and its function then and now. Also i learnt that the white mark was left after the flood of 1982, when the amount of water was so much that it flowed over into the safety shafts, but also it was so much that it flowed over onto the road, and over the dam. All valves were open, and they tried to get the water out as many of the safety shafts, but it was too much, and some did go over the road.
The power plant has 17 generators, 8 in Nevada and 9 in Arizona; there are separate shafts and pipes for the 2 power plants, 1 in each state. It is well worth a visit, even if it is just to marvel at the engineering feat that was achieved in building this dam.
There is currently a bypass bridge and road being built that will go over the canyon just south of the dam, these will hopefully ease some of the traffic flow over the dam, for those people who are trying to conduct normal day to day living which means that they have to drive this highway.
I found lunch at a small cafe in Boulder; it is a small town, which only exists because of the men and families during the time of the construction of the dam. Maybe another time i will stop here and explore a bit more. Before i headed to Vegas, i found a spot at the waterfront of Lake Mead, and enjoyed the sunshine.
Las Vegas is a commercial tourist area, with an eye of getting money from people. I had got a really good deal at the Mandalay Bay Hotel (5*), and was looking forward to the luxury of the room – big bath, separate shower, TV in bathroom.....Large TV in my room, and a huge luxurious bed all to myself.
I almost got lost trying to navigate and find the carpark – its free!
Checking in i learnt that if i booked a ticket the next day for the Lion King show that was at the Theatre of the Mandalay i would get 30% discount (well i did).
My exploration of Las Vegas strip was done in a day. I walked up and down (some parts a couple of times). I saw the Bellagio fountain display during the day, and also at night. I also popped into a couple of the hotels, to see them. The majority of these hotels on the strip have a show, some feature, and even shopping malls, in which to provide alternative entertainment to the gambling. I think that if i had been with someone, i would have spent more time going to visit all of these alternative attractions – i didn’t even go and visit the CSI centre.
I saw the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Mile of Shops, rode the sky train. Saw lots of tourist shops, and rides. I wasn’t up for the big rollercoaster ride....need some moral support to do those.
I did go and see the Cirque Du Soleil show called “Love” which is based on and features Beatles songs, the story/acrobatics/dance is done through song. It was absolutely awesome, a high $ but well worth it as a special treat. I got a seat on the front row of the top tier so didn’t get covered by the huge bedspread in the middle of the show. Due to the low numbers of bookings and visitors, it was easy to get tickets on the day of the show, if you were lucky you might even get them at the discount ticket booths.
I also got to see the Lion King....this is one show that i have wanted to see for years, been meaning to go and see it in London, but never got it sorted. The seats in Vegas were $30 cheaper than Broadway, and i got 30% discount on the second level (which was cheaper than the cheap seats where there was no discount!). I loved the show, loved it, loved it. I’m glad i waited, and i’m glad i’ve been to see it. I may take my nephew in a couple of year’s time to the London show if it’s still running.
Having checked out of the hotel, i wouldn’t be my nephew’s favourite aunt if i didn’t go and see the shark reef aquarium (well that’s my excuse!!). It was interesting to see all different types of sharks, and i managed to take several photos and a couple of mini films for my nephew (hope you enjoyed them Teddy), but sorry i didn’t buy any of the toys. Leaving Vegas, i can say i’ve been, not sure i want to be back again, if i need a place to stop and see a show, then maybe.
It was then a long drive back to Central California, and home again with Liz and John, where i would eventually get rid of my cold.
· Hoover Dam
· Lake Mead National Park
· Las Vegas – Tourist town and shows
Handy hints –
§ Be content to take things as they come, don’t worry if running behind your schedule, it may mean you experience something new and different.
§ Embrace the weather, be prepared for anything.
§ If visiting National Parks find out the costs and compare it against the cost of the Annual National Park Fee $80 (Zion $25, Bryce $25, Capitol Reef $5, Arches $10, Canyonlands $10, Mesa Verde $10, Grand Canyon $25, Lake Mead $5 = $115 in 3 weeks). Individual park fees are normally 1 price for 5-7 days.
§ Arriving at National Parks go visit the visitors centre, talk to the rangers, get recommendations on what to see and do and what order to do it in. It will always depend on the length of time that you have and how much walking you want to do. Pick up the map and the current guide newspaper.
Leaving Bluff i wasn’t sure what the next couple of days would bring, i decided that i would still book into the Mandalay Bay on Sunday, but that left 3 days/2 nights, what to do.
I actually spent a large part of the time driving. Leaving Bluff i sort of headed east, well as best as the road would let me, i drove through Page, and saw Lake Powell, with one of the several dams that exist on the Colorado River as part of the Water Control System set up for the various states that require water (inc California), and from here i passed through the lower part of the Escalante National Park, eventually arriving back at Zion National Park. I thought i might go for a horse ride the next day, but it was out of season, so it changed the plans.
Next day i drove south west, crossing the time line, heading into Nevada, and drove through Lake Mead National Recreational area, which was created with the Hoover Dam. The rock formation around here was a more red colouring that in other area’s i had seen. I stopped for a while with my book, and appreciating the warm sun, and views. Then driving south i could see Las Vegas off to my right (west) and i could see all the major hotels of the strip, they were the only tall buildings around.
I headed east to Boulder, just by Hoover Dam, and ended up on the Bypass, which took me down to the Dam. It was impressive to be crossing a famous place. I didn’t stop; i didn’t see a motel to stop so carried on into Arizona, crossing the time line again, and down to Kingsman, where i stopped for the night on Route 66.
Next day i was due at Las Vegas, but till mid afternoon, and also there would be the clocks going back an hour when i crossed back into Nevada. I decided that i would stop and go explore the Dam. Seeing the white line at some distance above the level of the water i was intrigued, and wondered if this was its normal level, and that its current level was very low. I did the tour of the power plant, but did not feel like taking the tour right into the dam. I learnt much about the building of the dam, and its function then and now. Also i learnt that the white mark was left after the flood of 1982, when the amount of water was so much that it flowed over into the safety shafts, but also it was so much that it flowed over onto the road, and over the dam. All valves were open, and they tried to get the water out as many of the safety shafts, but it was too much, and some did go over the road.
The power plant has 17 generators, 8 in Nevada and 9 in Arizona; there are separate shafts and pipes for the 2 power plants, 1 in each state. It is well worth a visit, even if it is just to marvel at the engineering feat that was achieved in building this dam.
There is currently a bypass bridge and road being built that will go over the canyon just south of the dam, these will hopefully ease some of the traffic flow over the dam, for those people who are trying to conduct normal day to day living which means that they have to drive this highway.
I found lunch at a small cafe in Boulder; it is a small town, which only exists because of the men and families during the time of the construction of the dam. Maybe another time i will stop here and explore a bit more. Before i headed to Vegas, i found a spot at the waterfront of Lake Mead, and enjoyed the sunshine.
Las Vegas is a commercial tourist area, with an eye of getting money from people. I had got a really good deal at the Mandalay Bay Hotel (5*), and was looking forward to the luxury of the room – big bath, separate shower, TV in bathroom.....Large TV in my room, and a huge luxurious bed all to myself.
I almost got lost trying to navigate and find the carpark – its free!
Checking in i learnt that if i booked a ticket the next day for the Lion King show that was at the Theatre of the Mandalay i would get 30% discount (well i did).
My exploration of Las Vegas strip was done in a day. I walked up and down (some parts a couple of times). I saw the Bellagio fountain display during the day, and also at night. I also popped into a couple of the hotels, to see them. The majority of these hotels on the strip have a show, some feature, and even shopping malls, in which to provide alternative entertainment to the gambling. I think that if i had been with someone, i would have spent more time going to visit all of these alternative attractions – i didn’t even go and visit the CSI centre.
I saw the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Mile of Shops, rode the sky train. Saw lots of tourist shops, and rides. I wasn’t up for the big rollercoaster ride....need some moral support to do those.
I did go and see the Cirque Du Soleil show called “Love” which is based on and features Beatles songs, the story/acrobatics/dance is done through song. It was absolutely awesome, a high $ but well worth it as a special treat. I got a seat on the front row of the top tier so didn’t get covered by the huge bedspread in the middle of the show. Due to the low numbers of bookings and visitors, it was easy to get tickets on the day of the show, if you were lucky you might even get them at the discount ticket booths.
I also got to see the Lion King....this is one show that i have wanted to see for years, been meaning to go and see it in London, but never got it sorted. The seats in Vegas were $30 cheaper than Broadway, and i got 30% discount on the second level (which was cheaper than the cheap seats where there was no discount!). I loved the show, loved it, loved it. I’m glad i waited, and i’m glad i’ve been to see it. I may take my nephew in a couple of year’s time to the London show if it’s still running.
Having checked out of the hotel, i wouldn’t be my nephew’s favourite aunt if i didn’t go and see the shark reef aquarium (well that’s my excuse!!). It was interesting to see all different types of sharks, and i managed to take several photos and a couple of mini films for my nephew (hope you enjoyed them Teddy), but sorry i didn’t buy any of the toys. Leaving Vegas, i can say i’ve been, not sure i want to be back again, if i need a place to stop and see a show, then maybe.
It was then a long drive back to Central California, and home again with Liz and John, where i would eventually get rid of my cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment