Wednesday, 21 October 2009

Vancouver 3
















Summary of time:
· Time to Relax
· Stanley Park – forests and raccoons

Handy hints –
§ Get a map of the city, and take the hop on/off to help get bearings, or talk to other people for ideas.
§ Good camera for the views
§ Take time to stop and enjoy the places where you are

It has been great to slow down the pace and relax; Vancouver is definitely a place to do that. This weekend the wind has picked up, and I just wanted to get out and walk, although it was time to get the cardigan and jacket out. The sun was shining, but the wind was bringing a chill with it.
I don’t feel that I have seen or done all the things that I could here, there’s lots left to come back another time to do.
I headed out to go and see the forest in Stanley, although walking along the sea wall towards the park, was cooler than the previous days, it was strange to see all the waves out in the bay. It was time for a coffee, which I took to the river nr Lost Lagoon, where I watched a family of ducks feeding.
Walking through the big redwoods in the forest was so peaceful; a lot of the time there was not many people around, although you did need to keep an eye for the cyclists.
I took various paths but I was heading for Beaver Lake. I didn’t know whether there were beavers there, but I felt there was a promise of wildlife. I was lucky to see some Mandarin ducks and dragon flies. Unfortunately a lot of the lake is covered in lilies – all now passed – but they are “choking” the pond. It was interesting to read one of the information boards, which explained that the lilies had been introduced early on in the history of the park, to bring beauty to the water, but now they were “killing” the pond, claiming it back for the forest! The lilies die and the plant sinks to the bottom of the pond, which over the years has lifted the bottom of the pond, and with the invasive growth of the lilies more and more of them grow each year, and therefore the amount of space for the water, and other plants shrinks, it will eventually lead to the pond disappearing, and the forest plants can move in, the edge of the pond has already started to shrink with shrubs growing around the edges.
An interesting dilemma, do you remove all the lilies to restore the pond (at huge expense) or let nature take its course?
From the lake, I decided to take the walker’s Ravine Trail down to the edge, it was a wise choice. I saw a mum taking a picture of her daughter nr the stream, there was obviously something there…I then saw it a raccoon came up from the stream to cross the path. The lady said that there were two of them as they walked off. I stopped, and then I saw the other. These were the first that I have seen in their natural habitat and it was thrilling. I stood and watched them shuffling along the stream in the search of food, eventually they crossed the path and disappeared into the woods. I even got a short film of them for my nephew.
I then continued on my walk, uplifted by what I had seen. Reaching the seawall, I headed south and then off through the picnic area, towards the children’s farmyard, which unfortunately had closed for the season. I wandered off through the Rose Gardens and around the Lost Lagoon, taking the north shore away from the people, and coming full circle where I had had my coffee earlier. I then saw 2 raccoons walking around the seating area, and being cheeky climbing up the back of the seat trying to get food from the occupant’s bag. The older Asian couple was not having any of it, but it was amusing to watch the raccoon’s attempts.
Following the path around the lake, I then saw several more raccoons; the parents were happily accepting nuts from people, although the youngsters (not young ones) were more nervous, hiding in the undergrowth.
Walking around the lagoon, I also saw a blue heron, Canadian geese, mallards, swans, cormorants, and seagulls.
I meandered around various paths and then back into the forest, and taking not the most direct route to get towards the Siwash Rock (Indian Legend says that this 50 ft high pinnacle of rock stands as an imperishable monument to “Skalsh the Unselfish”, who was turned into stone by “Q’uas the Transformer” as a reward for his unselfishness), I really only saw cyclists along this route, even though it was not really supposed to be for them, my map showed it all as hiking/pedestrian trails.
I loved spending the hours wandering around in the protection of the forest, away from the wind. When I was overlooking the Siwash Rock, I could see the Sea wall path and the waves crashing over onto it, and pedestrians / cyclists taking care trying not to get wet! I was relieved to be on high. My route eventually took me down to Third Beach, and I walked back along the Sea wall path.
By the end of the day my feet did ache, but I felt good, I’m sure I must be losing weight, and certainly getting fitter.
My last full day in Vancouver, was another gentle day, I went to church, and then had lunch down on the waterfront, before some wanderings. It was time to get organised and packed, the organization also included getting me booked into a hostel at Seattle, as well as getting booked into San Francisco.
I hate being late for things if I can help it, so leaving the hostel I left myself loads of time, and caught the bus to the station, I had time to relax with a cup of coffee.
I was nervous about US Immigration, whether they would let me back in or not, I still had my previous visa in, which showed I had previously allowed in, but also I had a flight out, and didn’t intend to work.
Our bus driver was quite stern in his instructions, making sure we all completed the relevant customs and visa waiver forms, and also about the foods that we were not allowed to take across the border. There would only be one brief stop where you could drop off your rubbish, and illegal items, the next stop would be duty free and then immigration/customs.
All non North Americans got off first, got our luggage and entered. The previous two buses had just loaded up and left, so we were the only ones there, none of the desks were open, we had to wait about 10 mins before they started to see anyone……

No comments:

Post a Comment